1.0 Sarah's Stamping Style: The dying art of letter writing

Saturday, May 5, 2012

The dying art of letter writing

Hi there!

I was very happy when Miss 7 recently acquired a pen-pal. I had a pen-pal as a child and just loved it. I  always eagerly anticipated the arrival of a new letter in the post box and was always so excited to open mail with my name on it. Something children these days rarely have the opportunity to do, except for their birthday or the odd postcard.

I was therefore very happy when the mother of Miss 7's pen-pal agreed that she also preferred the traditional snail mail to the email version. The art of letter writing is definitely rare these days.

Miss 7 was so excited when her first letter arrived, and she has read it over and over! Speaking of, I must sit her down to write back! It has been a few weeks and I am sure her pen-pal is stalking the letterbox daily!

So, when I saw this beautiful handmade stationary on Shelli's Blog. I knew I had too make some. I 'Pinned' the stationary and filed it under 'gorgeous gift ideas'.

The stationary is made using the brown paper packaging from SU! orders! What a great way to use the paper! Sara also added her monogram, what a lovely touch.

Fast forward only a few days and I had to have a 40th birthday present, for a couple who are dear friends of ours. I had purchased a gift for them, but wanted something handmade to add to the gift for her. Luckily, I had saved the brown paper packing paper from my last SU! order, so I was ready to roll.

I made 8 different note card/ stationary sheets with matching envelopes, similar to Sara's. The sheets can be unfolded and written on as a entire sheet for a longer note or folded over and written in as a card for shorter notes.

I added my friends monogram to the corner, so quick and easy, but very striking!

The envelopes were made using Sara's instructions, open a SU! envelope and trace around it as a template. Easy, peasey!










I used a variety of stamp sets, including Timeless Portrait and Delicate Doilies.  The envelopes were made using the matching Timeless Portrait and Flirtatious DSP.

I packaged all of the cards and envelopes up, using some Linen Thread, a doily, a butterfly and a little wooden peg. I wrote a description on the doily for the recipient.

The butterfly was made using the Beautiful Wings embosslit die. I added a couple of pearls for some sparkle.





Our friend obviously liked her gift, as I have already recieved one of the stationary cards back in the mail, as a thank you note! Love it!

I will be back, hopefully tomorrow, to show you the box I made to go with this stationary set.


If you have any questions please ask, and as always feel free to leave me a comment.

Thanks for stopping by.

Sarah xx

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to leave me some comment love. It always makes my day!